Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Census

The other day we had this guy come to our door and give us the census papers. I gave them to Dave and we filled them out on the internet. One of the questions ask what was the first language learned at home in childhood and still understand. I had to answer French and English. I'm certain all of you know that growing up I spoke both. My dad is English and my mom French. As far back as I can remember I spoke both. I've been thinking of doing the same thing with our child but wasn't certain Dave would agree and I didn't want to argue over the subject. I finally got the courage and ask if it would bother Dave if I spoke French to our baby from day one. He said go for it. That made me happy since being French is a part of me and I want that for my kids as well. I'm certain that some of you might not agree but as a soon to be parent, I think that speaking French will benefit my child. I am looking forward to speaking French on a daily basis again. Oh ya and I won't forget either that Dave speaks English. That's my thought for today.
Tam

6 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Well if you and the baby speak French and Dave doesn't it can be your secret language to talk about daddy (Sorry Dave)
:)

4:33 PM  
Blogger Tam's thoughts said...

I guess that could be fun. We use to do that with my dad and well he pretended he didn't understand but he did.
Tam

5:27 PM  
Blogger London Postmaster said...

Ahhh, Bibliotheque!!

7:39 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I think it's a great idea. Any child would be priveledged to learn two languages from birth. At least then French wouldn't be some class they curse in high school because it's hard (like I did!)

6:13 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

I completely agree with Kim on this - your little one is going to have a lot more opportunities if he (?!) is bilingual...

btw - i read your blog and don't find you boring either :)

6:41 PM  
Blogger Tam's thoughts said...

Kim it's funny how you though French class was a curse. I hated going to English class, but yet now I speak more English than French.
Tam

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home